As we creep closer to fall, the weekends become more packed with fun activities for you and the family. We’ve got a lot of options this weekend for events close to home, so save gas and stay nearby. We also listed some fun events happening a car trip away, if you’re up for some close-quartered family time. And don’t forget that San Diego Restaurant Week begins on Sunday—and this year they’re including lunch in the deal.
This weekend, Sept. 16-18, Lemon Grove and surrounding cities are hosting activities like community and youth theatre, a barbecue class that will leave you a pro, an e-waste event and a library fiesta. This Saturday is Coastal Cleanup Day all over San Diego County. Pick a beach (or a coast, like Lake Murray’s) and start cleaning!
Head to Santee for a dog park dedication ceremony or El Cajon for a golf tournament for a cause. See the Rocky Horror Show downtown or visit a huge music and boat fair at Mission Bay that’s happening all weekend long.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 3205 Olive St., Lemon Grove, 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: See a production of “He Ain’t Done Right by Nell,” set in Old Lemon Grove. Boo the villain! Cheer the hero!
- Price: $7-$10.
- When/where:, 3200 Main St., Lemon Grove, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Get rid of your electronic waste (old TVs, computer monitors, stereos, etc.) the safe way.
- Price: Free (microwave ovens are $10 to recycle).
- When/where: , 5540 Kiowa Drive, La Mesa, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday.
- Why go: Help hundreds of others in our community clean up our coastal lines and make Lake Murray clean and beautiful during this countywide coastal cleanup.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 836 Kempton St., Spring Valley, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s the Spring Valley Library’s annual Fiesta, with performances by Mariachi Diamante de San Diego and Ballet Folklorico Aquetzalli de Lemon Grove.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 9620 Campo Road, Spring Valley, 7 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: The Young Actor’s Theatre is transforming their stage into the classic 70s show “School House Rock.”
- Price: $12-$15.
- When/where: , 8910 Troy St., Spring Valley, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Learn barbecue basics, like cook times, procedures and tools needed. You’ll even learn how to properly smoke at this instructional class. Price includes the class, a drink and a barbecue meal.
- Price: $95.
BEST BETS A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: Cottonwood Golf Club, 3121 Willow Glen Drive, El Cajon, noon-8 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Gather up your golf buddies and put around. Proceeds from the four-person scramble tournament will benefit Susan G. Komen For A Cure Foundation.
- Price: $125.
- When/where: , 10250 Woodglen Vista Drive, Santee, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Let Fido off the leash at this new park dedication ceremony. Enjoy raffles, food, and lots of pooches.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, 8-10 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.
- Why go: Travel down to the Old Globe for a cult classic, The Rocky Horror Show. Sing along to your favorites with Brad and Janet.
- Price: $29-$122.
- When/where: Mission Bay, 1775 E. Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, various hours Friday through Sunday.
- Why go: See more than 25 bands perform over the weekend and watch big boats race in the water. There will be activities for kids, food booths and beer gardens.