Sure, you've been living life like it's summer since Memorial Day, but Tuesday it becomes official. It's the longest day of the year–sunset isn't until 8 p.m.–so what are you going to do all weekend to celebrate?
In Lemon Grove, San Diego and beyond from June 16 to June 22, we can guide you to what's happening, from a unique art opening to a famous comedian coming to Sycuan.
And don't get so caught up in the glorious, seemingly never-ending daylight that you forget dear ol' dad. Look for restaurants, stores and museums to offer free or reduced admission and other special events to celebrate Father's Day.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: , 7787 Alvarado Road, La Mesa, 5 p.m. Thursday.
- Why go: Spiral Bound is a show featuring notebooks from San Diego and New York artists, from sketchbooks to photocopies to video, to shed light on the creative process. Green Fire Jazz will perform.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: , 3338 Main St., Lemon Grove, 7 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: The studio hosts “Fandango Jarocho,” a monthly evening of music and dancing, inspired by the arts in Veracruz. Those who attend are encouraged to join in, regardless of experience on the instruments, including the jarana.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, continues through July 4.
- Why go: The second week of the San Diego County Fair features a Father's Day pancake breakfast, two horse shows, an enviro fair, the “Motorcycle Ride to the Fair” and performers Tony Lucca and Sister Sledge.
- Price: $7-$13, with discounts available.
- Where/when: Sycuan Casino, Showcase Theatre, 5469 Casino Way, El Cajon, 8 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Dana Carvey, one of Saturday Night Live's '90s standouts, performs.
- Price: $45-$55.
- Where/when: North Embarcadero, 849 W Harbor Drive, San Diego, noon Saturday.
- Why go: The San Diego Oyster Fest features the namesake bivalve, of course, along with live bands and cooking demos.
- Price: $25.