and firefighters from in Rancho Bernardo show residents what not to do when deepfrying a turkey for Thanksgiving.
The demonstration was done with the authorization of San Diego Fire-Rescue Department officials by trained firefighters and should not be attempted by others.
Here are some key safety tips for deep frying a turkey:
• Make sure the turkey is thawed and dried, not wet, before putting it into the grease.
• Never deep fry a turkey indoors and make sure an adult monitors the cooking process. Children should be kept away.
• Wear protective clothing while cooking: long sleeved shirts, pants and closed toe shoes.
• Before heating up the grease, use water to test how much grease can be safely put into the pot without spilling over once the turkey is immersed.
• Do not use water to put out a grease fire. Use a Class B or all-purpose fire extinguisher.
• Keep flammable materials at least 25 feet away from the deep fryer.
• As always, in an emergency, do not hesitate to call 911.