Editor's note: This article was originally posted at 11:38 a.m. Aug. 30. It has been updated with additional information.
A recurring chimney problem is the cause of a fire that broke out Friday morning at Coop's West Texas Barbeque, according to Heartland Fire & Rescue spokesman Sonny Saghera.
According to Saghera, Lemon Grove fire officials have been to the restaurant numerous times for issues related to creosote buildup in the kitchen's chimney. Friday's fire is at least the second to be reported in as many years.
The Health Department was called to the scene, as is routine for restaurant fires, and has ordered the restaurant's owners to hire a professional cleanup crew to alleviate the creosote problem, Saghera said.
Firefighters were able to quickly knocked down the blaze at the popular Lemon Grove Avenue business. The fire was reported shortly before 9:30 a.m. It took 15 firefights about 10 minutes to put out.
An estimate of damage to the business was not immediately available, and no injuries were reported, according to Heartland fire authorities. The eatery was not open for business at the time.
A kitchen fire in June of 2011 shut down the restaurant for days while repairs were made and the Health Department issued its approval to re-open. That blaze started in the restaurant's barbecue pits—large ovens where workers prepare Coop's famous meats.