Update: Thursday 4:45 p.m.: Police have identified the victim.
Update Thursday 9:45 a.m.: The Riverside County Coroner's office has identified the murder victim as a 26-year-old Banning man.
His identity has not been released, pending notification of next of kin.
This homicide marks the second this year in the city of Banning.
Original Story below:
A man was shot and killed in Banning Wednesday night, and now investigators are busy scouring the scene for clues, police tell Banning-Beaumont Patch.
Police Chief Leonard Purvis says officers responded to a "shots fired call" at 5:35 p.m. on North Phillips and East Ramsey streets.
"When our officers arrived in the area, they discovered that a black male adult in his 20s was at Consuelo's restaurant and he had been shot multiple times,” Purvis said, adding that the shooting did not happen in the restaurant, but that the man ran to the location for help after having been shot.
Restaurant workers requested help from Cal Fire paramedics.
"They performed first aid on him and transported him to San Gorgonio hospital,” Purvis added. "We later found out that he didn’t survive his injuries.”
Purvis told Patch late Wednesday night that the circumstances surrounding the shooting are still being investigated and it's not yet clear if this was a gang-related incident.
“We're still trying to piece everything together,” he said.
In an effort to "retrace where [police] think the victim was," there were some road closures in the area Wednesday night.
As of midnight, East Ramsey, between Phillips and Hargrave was shut down to traffic, as well as Phillips, between Ramsey and Williams.
Check back with Banning-Beaumont Patch for more details as they become available.