The city of Lemon Grove is looking for a new member for its Planning Commission.
Applications for the post are available at the front counter in City Hall and on the city's website. They are due no later than Dec. 20. The appointment is expected to be made in January.
The vacancy was prompted by the election of Planning Commissioner Raquel Vasquez to the City Council.
The council Tuesday discussed options for appointing a commissioner. They decided to go with opening up the application process to residents rather than selecting from a list of previous applicants, which had also been talked about.
"The concern with the use of the previous candidate pool is that the list was generated over two years ago," City Manager Graham Mitchell said.
He said he also sent out applications to those on the 2010 list at the council's direction.
Also discussed Tuesday was the length of the term for a commissioner. The appointee will serve through October 2014.
In September of 2011, the council reappointed two commissioners whose terms were expiring, Jennifer Mendoza and Bob Bailey, without a recruitment process. The other two members currently serving on the five-person panel are Moises Aguirre and Lewis Zollinger, both selected in 2010.
The October 2014 timeframe will coincide with the two-year terms of Mendoza and Bailey, which end at that time.
An application for the positions states qualified candidates should have:
- An interest in the type and quality of physical development occurring in the City.
- A willingness to devote time and effort to carrying out the duties of the Planning
- A willingness to accept and support adopted City land use and development policies and regulations
- A willingness to propose changes to policies and regulations when deemed necessary, and
- An ability to review and analyze development proposals and City staff-prepared reports in preparation for Planning Commission meetings and public hearings.
For more information, please contact City Manager Graham Mitchell at 619- 825-3800 or email@example.com.